SMC Graduation Requirements
St. Mary Central offers a four year, eight semester program. A St. Mary Central graduating student will be awarded a diploma when 27.5 credits have been earned. Of these 27.5 credits, 20.0 are required and 7.5 are elective courses.
Graduating students are required to have taken the following minimum courses:
- Electives - 7.5 credits
- English - 4.0 credits
- Theological Instruction - 4.0 credits
- Mathematics - 3.0 credits
- Science - 3.0 credits
- Social Studies - 3.0 credits
- Physical Ed - 1.5 credits
- Fine Arts - .5 credits
- Health - .5 credits
- Computer-Based Instruction - .5 credits
College Preparatory Recommendations
The Guidance Office recommends that students take the following courses to prepare for college admission:
- English - 4 credits
- Math (algebra, geometry, advanced algebra, trigonometry and pre-calculus) - 4 credits
- Science (physical science, biology, chemistry or physics) - 4 credits
- Social Studies - 4 credits
- Other academic electives (computer-based instruction, English, fine arts, math, science, social studies, world languages) - 4 credits
- World languages - 2+ credits
Admission to a college or university is competitive. School are becoming more and more selective. Students with the strongest qualifications, including the number of courses taken and the rigor of the academic program (honors and AP courses, etc.), have the greatest chance of admission.
SMC Service Requirements
Service requirements for graduation are handled by the Faith Formation department.